Kitchen Manager / Lead Cook
Kitchen Manager/ Lead Cook
Report: General Manager
Summary of Position
The Kitchen Manager / Lead Cook is responsible for all kitchen function, including but not limited to food purchasing, receiving, preparation and maintenance of the quality standards, safety, sanitation and cleanliness. The Kitchen Manager/Lead cook is responsible for the training of employees in connection with purchasing, receiving, preparation and maintenance of quality standards, safety, sanitation and cleanliness.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant recipes, portioning,cooking and serving standards.
- Responsible for ordering food products according tp predetermined products specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are received in accordance with the restaurants receiving policies and procedures.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures including checking and maintaining proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Work with the Resturant Manager to plan and price menu items. Establish portion size and prepare standard recipe cards for all new and old items.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the Restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Make employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating and disciplining Kitchen personnel as appropriate.
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and produces and oversee training of new Kitchen employees.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including form, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and the labor cost objectives are met.
- Be knowledgeable of resturant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rule and procedures.
- Oversee the training kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and satiation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedule for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Provide safety training lifting, carrying objects and handling hazardous materials.
- Attends all schedule employee meetings and bring suggestions for improvement.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in varied kitchen position including food preparation, line cook, fry cook and expediter.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Posses strong organizational and decision-making skills.
- Work well in fast-paced setting.
- At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in standing position for a long period of time.
- Must have exceptional hygiene and grooming habits.
The statements contained herein reflects general details as necessary to describe the principle function of this position, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the general scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirement. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the work load, gain additional experience to further the individuals professional development.